Monday, September 07, 2009

100 Innings

I'm recovering from the 100 Innings of Baseball fundraiser for ALS research. The event was held Saturday through Sunday in Quincy, Mass. I've played plenty of night games, but I never watched the sun rise while playing the outfield before. There's something beautiful about dawn's early light on a baseball field -- especially one that's in use. But nothing compares to having my wife and daughter there to watch me play. Two images tattooed to my brain are my wife clapping after I singled and scored a run, and my daughter smiling while happily digging in the dirt behind the dugout.

Former Phillies and Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, a big supporter of ALS research, stopped by during the 95th inning to offer his support and say thanks. He chatted with the players, posed for a group photo and signed some baseballs.

The event raised $26,756 for ALS research so far. I say "so far" because even though the game is over, donations are being accepted for the next two weeks. To donate, click here. Anything you can spare will be a big help. Thank you to everyone who has been so generous in donating to support this great cause.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home