Friday, March 06, 2009

Liquid cigarettes

Soft drinks. They can contain benzene, mercury, BPA and reactive carbonyls, which have been linked to diabetes. And a stimulating, possibly addictive, drug is thrown in for good measure.

I once had a job in which we were given a 15-minute break at around 10:15 a.m. I usually drank a can of Mountain Dew during this break, and I soon found that I began feeling anxious at around 10 a.m., as though I had forgotten to do something important. I would feel nervous, with that sinking of the stomach that one experiences just before remembering that super important but forgotten thing. Being at work, I worried that there was some job-related task that I had overlooked, and thought backwards in search of something I might have forgotten to do. That never turned up anything, so I started scanning my personal file to see if I had dropped a ball there. Nothing.

I finally connected the anxious feeling to the caffeine jolt my body was anticipating. I stopped drinking that yellow, syrupy piss and the feeling went away.

Do yourself a favor and drink apple juice. Or any fruit juice not contaminated with high fructose corn syrup. Read the labels and know what you're putting into your body.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home