Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Hurricane-grade bubble

Even a hurricane can't burst this family's bubble:

"And I, myself, thought we had dodged a bullet. You know why? Because I was listening to people, probably over the airways, say, the bullet has been dodged. And that was what I was referring to." George, Sept. 12

"I also want to encourage anybody who was affected by Hurricane Corrina to make sure their children are in school." Laura, Sept. 8 (for video, scroll down or search for "Corrina" after you open the link)

"What didn't go right?" George, Sept. 6

"What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them." Bar, Sept. 5

"But I really didn't hear that at all today. People came up to me all day long and said 'God bless your son,' people of different races and it was very, very moving and touching, and they felt like when he flew over that it made all the difference in their lives, so I just don't hear that." Bar, Sept. 5

"I talked to Haley Barbour, the governor of Mississippi yesterday because some people were saying, 'Well, if you hadn't sent your National Guard to Iraq,
we here in Mississippi would be better off.' He told me 'I've been out in the field every single day, hour, for four days and no one, not one single mention of
the word 'Iraq.' Now where does that come from? Where does that story come from if the governor is not picking up one word about it? I don't know. I can use
my imagination." George Sr. Sept. 5
You can use the 8/31 Washington Post, too, George:
"'Missing the personnel is the big thing in this particular event. We need our people,' said Lt. Andy Thaggard, a spokesman for the Mississippi National Guard, which has a brigade of more than 4,000 troops in central Iraq. Louisiana also has about 3,000 Guard troops in Baghdad."
"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." George, Sept. 2

"Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch." (Laughter.) George, Sept. 2

"I believe the town where I used to come – from Houston, Texas, to enjoy myself, occasionally too much – will be that very same town, that it will be a better place to come to." George, Sept. 2
Again I ask: When we see an inability or refusal to express concern or basic human decency, should we be suprised that the administration appears to have brought no sense of urgency to the relief efforts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home